Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Food Availability

Corrected for the masses

------------Forwarded message------------
From: f----s@lycos.com
Date: Sep 2, 2010 06:27:13 PM
Subject: Food Availability
To: wolcc@wolhawaii.com


I would first like someone to clarify if there is one or two pantries. This
is what I found online:

Word of Life
Food Pantry / Needs
Duane Makalena, 528.4044, press #, then 4005
Open to congregation on Sundays 11am to 2pm
Open to community on Tues., Thurs., & Fri. 11 am to 2pm

THE GIVING TREE FOOD PANTRY

HOURS:
Tues and Thurs -the operational hours are 10 to 11:30 for 62 years of age and the handicappable
11:30 to 1:45 = for anyone

On Wednesdays = the operational hours are 9 to 10 for 62 years of age and handicappable
10 to 11:45 for anyone
Secondly, I am homeless and thankful that there are pantries that can help
with food. Not wanting to rely on word of mouth for schedules and such,
I went online to find the truth.

I was told that "The Giving Tree" is administered by Word Of Life and
another community organization. Something struck me as peculiar though.
I heard from someone that church members are allowed to shop on Sunday,
in addition to regular days.

This seemed to be unfair, in that, during the week there seems to be less
healthful foods to choose from, being mostly carbohydrates, and those
containing a lot of sugar. I think a church should be allowed to provide for
their parishioners as they see fit, and if they are charitable enough to share
with everyone else thereafter, wonderful. It's just that, if the pantry is for the
needy, regardless of whether they attend church, or what church, I think it unfair
to allow some to have the advantage of  selection on a day that others do not.

No comments:

Post a Comment